Friday, September 12, 2014

Pillow Making Corners Square or Round?

I was of the mind that a good pillow should have round corners. I wasn't sure I liked that square corner dog eared look. So I set out to make a round corner pillow.


So I decided that a glass would be a good size for me to use as an outline for that rounded corner look. I traced the corner using the glass so I'd know where to sew.  I don't have any pictures of the sewn line but what I do have is a rounded corner pillow and a square corner pillow side by side so you can judge like I did which look is better.


Need I tell you that the round corner one is in front, you could tell that right? It was a great experiment and the square corner won. Now to get that sharp corner edge I make sure I sew each side to the edge and not try to move the fabric to turn a corner. I'm hoping you can tell what I mean by the following picture.



So each seam went right to the end, cut the threads and then began the next seam at the edge. It gives me really sharp edges.


 I make sure I cut the corners off so when it's turned right side the corners look nice and crisp.




Here's a set of pillows I did all with the square edges and now I have to say I like the bit of a dog eared look.

I'm partying over here 



4 comments:

  1. Great cushions! I agree, the square corners win out, but maybe that's just because that's what we're all used to. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really thought about the corners looking like dog's ears, but I do like the crispness of a square corner versus the rounded one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillows look beautiful, and your tutorial is great. I like the square corners too, but would have probably never thought to sew them to the ends like that and then trim the corners. Now I want to go make some pretty pillows too! Thank you for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete