Friday, September 19, 2014

Making Fabric Buttons

Now anything that can have me mixing and matching fabric to create a look I'm all in and making fabric buttons gives me that option.

For example I make pillows and add fabric buttons to them and most times the fabric button is a different pattern than the pillow. This makes me happy to create like this.


 I also like to make fabric button magnets and create a three button gift set. Here I used some left over fabric from some men's shirts I had. Love the blue and white look of these and I thought they all looked good together.


I've also made magnetic boards and added fabric buttons to them as you can see below.


I buy my button supplies at  cover buttons.  My choice for sizes are the 1 1/2" size or it's actually called size #60. I've also purchased size #36 which is 7/8" but really my favorite size is the # 60

Cover buttons offers the buttons with or without the wire eye loop. As I never need the loop I buy without.

You'll need a template so you can cut your fabric to the correct size and not waste fabric.

source
Then you'll need the assembly piece. It's what you need to marry fabric, aluminum button top and bottom.
Check out Cover Buttons link on how to use the assembly tool.

Source

The magnets I use I get at Walmart. For me they are the most reasonably priced without having to pay for shipping costs. I use the 3/4" size and that fits perfectly for the size #36 and #60 buttons.

Source
 If you also would like to make the gift set with the window tin you can get them at Papermart I buy the 2" x 2" x 1"

Source
Fabric buttons are a great way to use up those scraps of fabric that you've been saving for something cause if you are like me you just can't throw them away.

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea! I have saved a lot of vintage fabric that I'd like to use.....Thanks for sharing your project with us at Make It Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time my mom made something for me with matching fabric buttons. I thought wow she must really love me to have gone to so much work. Then she showed me how easy they were to make, lol. Don't worry, I still think she really loves me ;) Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete