Thursday, October 27, 2011

When Things Go Wrong!

I found this wooden basket at a thrift store for $2.00. It was an unfinished wooden piece that you would find at a craft store and I thought it was worth the $2.00, plus I had an image I've been wanting to use and thought it would be perfect for it.



Mistake #1 I didn't sand the piece before I painted it. Those poplar wood pieces tend to be a bit rough.

Mistake #2 I primed it with a white primer. I realized this was a mistake when I started to sand the piece after all the paint colors were done and got the white primer showing thru on my edges where I wanted it to be down to raw wood.

Mistake #3. I used my trusty Vaseline trick to give me the chipped paint look but went a bit too far with it. So I had to do a patch paint job to rectify it.

Mistake #4 The Fresh Eggs image wasn't big enough to make a statement at the bottom of this basket so I pondered what to do. Dictionary pages, yup that was the ticket. The dictionary pages wasn't the mistake, the mistake was I was in a rush (like that's something new) and didn't take my time making sure that the edges of the dictionary pages that butted up to the sides of the basket were straight.  So I tried to fix it with some black paint to make it look, oh I don't know maybe right? Didn't work. It looks sloppy.

So I added some more paint to the edges and then went over it with some antiquing polish and it looks better, but not good enough.

My choices for this piece, keep it as it is or redo the dictionary pages and image so it's right. I opt to redo it.

BTW I got the Fresh Eggs image from Playing with Brushes.

3 comments:

  1. Every piece we do isn't "just exactly how we pictured it being". Being a newbie, not only to blogging, but also to some of the techniques, I totally understand how you're feeling! Yup, I'd probably fix up the dictionary page part...or do the frame in a white, so the contrast isn't so stark? But, don't listen to me...I don't know what I'm doing half the time either! Hahahaha!
    I like the sign part for sure...way to go! And I'm proud of you for putting your mistakes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,
    I'm going to redo the dictionary. I've been absent from posting on my blog so I had to say something,might as well show my ugly side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    Thank you so much for the prayers for Emily to get over her Lyme disease. Prayers are the best and we appreciate them so much.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete