Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fabric Napkins Take On A Whole New Look!

I've had these linen type napkins for quite a few years stashed in my fabric pile . Originally they were my aunt's and I think her plan was to embroider on them. I confiscated them because I loved the feel and look of the fabric and always thought they would make really cute little pillows. Plus you know they were like a blank canvas waiting to be something else. They measure 14" x 14"

Napkins waiting for the day to become pillows

But you know how you have these great ideas and they (the napkins) just sit there until tomorrow or the next day or maybe even the day after that. Those tomorrows became years.

So I'm here to tell you I finally got them made. What explanation do I have for finally getting them done?  I think I heard them calling to me from the fabric stash begging to be the promised pillows. When napkins start calling it's time to listen and do.  Sorry folks that's the best reason I can come up.

The edges were already hemmed so my idea was to just sew two together just below the hem line and then stuff with some loose fill. 

Plain white little pillows are just...... plain and I wanted more pizazz  like transfer image pizazz. I love the vintage french looking black and white images and the graphic fairy has some really great ones. So I went browsing on her web site and came up with a few that I thought would be perfect for the pillows.

This brings up the point of transferring images onto fabric.  Browse the web and you will find all these different techniques on how to do it.  It can be a bit overwhelming. After much research I decided that Lesley Riley's Transfer Artist Paper would be my method of choice. It does a wonderful transfer and it's so easy and I'm all for easy.


So I had enough napkins (10) to make 5 pillows. I used 5 different images from the Graphic Fairy.


Black and white pillows with a french flair
The above picture is just 4 of the 5 pillows and you only get to see 2 of the images I used from the Graphic Fairy . Below is a close up of another image.

This one is my favorite.
I think these little pillows make a great accent up against some larger pillows, maybe on a bed.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've missed your postings! This is great info and your pillows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! They are so cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog...hope to "see" you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your aunt would be pleased with the transformation of her napkins. They look great! Thanks for stopping by my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for you comments. I also loved how these came out.

    ReplyDelete